1. On 12 August, 2015, 13 years old Ms Ese Rita Oruru did not return home
2. Efforts made by the parents to locate Ese led to one Mohammed (aka Daidi) who informed the mother that one Mr. Yinusa (alias Yellow) had taken the said Miss Ese Rita Oruru to Kano with an intention to convert her into Islam, recruit her into an Islamic fanatical Group and marry her.
3. Acting on the above information, Mrs. Rose Oruru approached one Dan Kano, who not only confirmed the story but also promised to take her to Kano to recover her daughter.
4. Notwithstanding the above promise made, the said Dan Kano rescinded on his promise and rather sent one Rabiu to accompany Mrs. Rose Oruru to Kano.
5. On the 14th of August, 2015 the journey to Kano was embarked on, arriving after midnight. The said Rabiu took Mrs. Rose Oruru to the chief of a village called Tufa in Kura Local Government Area of Kano State on the 15th of August, 2015.
6. After relaying the purpose of their visit, the said chief was furious with Rabiu for bringing Mrs. Rose Oruru to Kano and told them that the said Miss Ese Rita Oruru has been converted to Islam and renamed “Aisha”, married and that the child was no longer her child. He also informed them that Miss Ese Rita Oruru was in the custody of the Emir of Kano Sanusi Lamido Sanusi at the Palace.
7. Moving forward, Mrs. Rose Oruru in the company of Rabiu approached the Emir of Kano’s Palace but met a stiff opposition by several youth, they were pushed out of the Palace.
8. The said Yinusa, through phone calls, informed Mrs. Rose Oruru that he did not kidnapped her daughter as he took permission from Dan Kano before he abducted her.
9. Sensing the impossibility of seeing her daughter or having an audience with the Emir of Kano, Mrs. Rose Oruru broke into tears and drew a lot of attention, on hearing her cries an elderly man called the Police.
10. When the Police arrived they picked Mrs. Rose Oruru to Kwani Police station where her statement was taken and Police officers accompanied her first to the Emir’s Palace but they were prevented from entering the Palace. The Police then proceeded to the house of the Galadima of Kano, who stated that he does not know anything about the matter. The team proceeded to see the Adviser to the Emir, who told them that he does not want to be involved in the matter and then to the Secretary to the Emir of Kano. The Secretary informed them that:
a. The Chief of Tufa Village got an approval from Kura Police station to take the said Miss Ese Rita Oruru to the Emir’s Palace.
b. That the said Miss Ese Rita Oruru is now a convert of Islam and if brought to her mother, Mrs. Rose Oruru would not be able to talk or touch her, otherwise either she (the mother) or Ese would die. He advised that they wait till Monday the 17th of August 2015 to see the Emir.
11. On the 17th of August 2015, the DCO, a Police Inspector from Kwani Police Station, the Chief of Tufa village and Mrs Rose Oruru were at the Palace where the Emir of Kano sat in council. The said Miss Ese Rita Oruru was also seen brought in a Black Jeep with two Police Escort, Yinusa was also present. When the case was mentioned, every other person was allowed inside except Mrs. Rose Oruru, returning from the Emir’s court the DCO informed Mrs. Rose that the Emir of Kano told them to go to the Sharia Court, which they objected to.
12. The Police at Kwani transferred the matter to State CID in Kano State, where she was asked to go back to Bayelsa and report the matter to the Bayelsa State Police Command.
13. Mrs Rose Oruru returned to Bayelsa on the 17th of August 2015 and a report was made at the Ekeki Police Station and the matter was later transferred to State CID Yenagoa.Click Here!
14. The Police at Yenagoa made some arrest including Dan Kano, and a trip was embarked upon to Kano on the 2nd of September, 2015 with the following persons: Dan Kano, K.C. Dahiru (the chairman of the Hausa community in Yenagoa), Mr. Charles Oruru and Two Police Officer from State CID.
15. The team reported at the Kwani Police Station in Kano where another visit was made to the Emir of Kano, the Emir informed them that he had since on the 26th of August 2015 sent a letter for the release of the said Miss Ese Rita Oruru to her parent. Another letter was also written but was not responded to.
16. Notwithstanding the above efforts made the said Miss Ese Rita Oruru has since not been released to her parent but is still held hostage at Kano State